Over the last couple weeks, I've been getting a lot of questions about how oil serums work and how/why to use them in our skincare routine. Especially if you have oily or problem skin, putting more oil on your skin seems counterintuitive. The truth is if you have the right blend of cold-pressed oils with the right combination of fatty acids and botanicals, an oil serum can do wonders no matter your skin type.
So, what is an oil serum?
Simply put, an oil serum is a 100% oil-based skincare product used on your face that is usually filled with cold-pressed oils and organic botanicals to support healthy skin. And, because they're made only from oil, they don't require a preservative, natural or synthetic, making them a happy choice for your skin.
Many customers who use our oil serums describe their skin as feeling alive when they use them in their routines. Oil serums, depending on the formula, also balance, nourish, clear, and calm.
How do oil serums work?
Oil serums comprise of oils suited for the delicate facial skin, along with botanical extracts, essentials oils, for additional skin supporting properties.
Cold-pressed, organic carrier oils are the foundation of all Lagom Body Co. oil serums and I happily formulate different oil serums for different skin. Boho Bloom helps with clearing and calming, Flower Bud offers antioxidants and supports aging skin, and Golden Om supports dry skin that struggles with holding onto moisture.
3 ways to use an oil serum in your skincare routine
- Use an oil serum and facial toner together for a bespoke daily moisturizer. This simplifies your routine and offers a quick and custom facial treatment, depending on the season and your cycle. I like to use Flower Bud or Golden Om in the summer together with Wild Glow.
- Apply your oil serum after cleansing and before your heavier moisturizer. If you incorporate an oil serum into your ritual, it's best to apply to damp skin. Wait a minute or two for it to soak in and follow with your favorite cream. My nightly ritual usually includes cleansing with Full Moon, followed by Flower Bud, Wild Glow, and a final layer of Nirvana.
- Use your oil serum day and night. Because oil serums are light and penetrate quickly, they fit easily into the morning and evening routines. By using them in the morning, oil serums offer nourishment as well as a beautiful base for makeup. Some of my customers like to use a little bit of oil serum along with their highlighter or bronzing powder for even coverage.
Meet the best-selling Lagom Body Co. oil serum
Flower Bud Oil Serum formula is a gorgeous blend of organic & cold-pressed camellia and organic golden jojoba oil infused with fresh + vibrant calendula blooms. This formula is boosted with rosehip oil, cold-pressed Willamette Valley meadowfoam seed oil, and sea buckthorn C02 which gives this serum a gorgeous ruby hue.
- Restores very dry, sensitive, delicate, aging, and combo skin that needs daily revitalization to strengthen and support the skin barrier.
- Sunflower + camellia seed oils work in tandem to soften, condition, and moisturize the skin while reducing wrinkles and addressing daily environmental stress that weakens the skin.
- Cold-pressed + local Willamette Valley meadowfoam seed oil deeply nourishes and encourages the skin's natural ability to retain moisture for a more supple and dewy complexion.
- Together, organic rosehip seed oil and sea buckthorn encourage cell regeneration and scavenge free radicals to uncover your natural lustrous skin.
- Organic jojoba adds the perfect glide and, together with my own homegrown organic calendula, it naturally nourishes, soothes, and calms.
- Essential oil free
- Cleanse your skin with Full Moon Cleansing Balm
- Follow with a layer of Nirvana Daily Restore Face Cream for extra moisture
- Add 3-5 drops of Flower Bud Nourishing Oil Serum into your palm and Luminous Spirit Tonic or Wild Heart Tonic (or water) in a 1:2 ratio.
- Mix in your palm and press into your face and neck.
- Optional: apply a layer of your choice of natural SPF + makeup as your final step.
- Cleanse and prep your skin with the Full Moon Cleansing Balm
- Add a nice layer of Nirvana Daily Restore Face Cream for deep overnight moisturizing.
- Finish by mixing 5-7 drops of Flower Bud Nourishing Oil Serum into your palm
Lagom Body Co. is an organic, elegant, and holistic skincare line designed to bring you closer to nature. Founded by holistic herbalist, Kristen Runvik, Lagom Body Co. aims to offer beautiful organic skincare made from nature while offering education on nature and plants for more peace and joy in the world. Learn more about our plants and our process here.