As I shifted over to a majority of North American grown and sourced ingredients in 2019, I began to understand and appreciate the beautiful skin supportive properties of sunflower oil, which can sometimes be seen in a less positive light due to it's affordability compared to higher end, more precious oils.
Here's why I'm obsessed with this sunny, supportive, and healing oil.
Top 7 Skin Benefits of Sunflower Oil For Skincare
- Sunflower oil prevents moisture loss. This is critical for supporting healthy skin. It also adds a protective emollient layer to the skin, preventing environmental damage.
- Sunflower oil is loaded with vitamin E, which smooths the skin and reduces the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Sunflower oil is rejuvenating, softening, and soothing to the skin.
- Sunflower oil is brightening and helps to rejuvenate lackluster skin.
- Sunflower oil is rich in EFAs (essential fatty acids). More on that below.
- Sunflower oil helps to prevent acne-causing bacteria.
- Sunflower oil doesn't clog pores.
The Top 3 Beneficial Essential Fatty Acids in Sunflower Oil (AKA why it's so amazing for your skin)
There are a couple different types of sunflower oil on the market. The sunflower oil used in Lagom Body Co. products is, on average, the following essential fatty acid profile:
- 55% Omega 6 (Linoleic Acid)
- 30% Omega 9 (Oleic Acid)
- 4% Stearic acid
- 2% GLA
Omega 6 (Linoleic Acid)
Sunflower oil is high in Omega 6 (Linoleic Acid). Linoleic acid is known to facilitate wound healing, offer anti-inflammatory properties, soothe acne and reduce future outbreaks, promote moisture retention, and help to support and strengthen skin elasticity, resulting in a reduced appearance of aging.
Omega 9 (Oleic Acid)
Sunflower oil also includes a generous amount of Omega 9 or Oleic Acid. Oleic acid helps to maintain softness and radiance of the skin. Again, this essential fatty acid supports and strengthens the skin, reducing signs of aging. Oleic acid also exhibits antioxidant properties, which is essential for slowing the signs of aging.
Stearic acid interestingly offers up cleansing properties that eliminate dirt, sweat, and excess sebum. It also assists in softening the skin when used topically.
As you can see, these essential fatty acids are truly essential in making sunflower seed oil the incredible botanical oil for skin health that it is.
Smooth, rejuvenate, soften, and soothe your skin with these Lagom Body Co. products made with Sunflower Oil
Treat your skin to some of the beautiful qualities that sunflower oil serves up with some of my favorite products.