Now, more than ever, we need to holistically support our mind, body, and spirit. In the spirit of collaboration, I reached out to my friend Alexandra to share some of what she's doing to support immune health on a daily basis. Alexandra is a certified holistic health coach through the Institute of Integrative Nutrition.
1. Drink warm liquids in the morning to rehydrate, flush out toxins, and wake up the digestive system.
Try one of the following:
- Half a lemon (squeezed), chopped ginger, and a cinnamon stick. Drink through a thermos with a strainer or simply sip from your favorite mug.
- 1-2 tablespoons of raw organic ACV with a spoonful of local honey. Stir until honey is dissolved.
- Your favorite herbal tea blend.
2. Move your body for 30 minutes or as much time as you have (more or less).
The lymphatic system relies on movement to effectively do its job of transporting lymph throughout the body. Moving your body at the beginning of the day has the benefits of stimulating this system while also giving you a head start to support healthy energy levels throughout the day.
3. Set reminders to take mini wellness breaks throughout the day.
Look away from your screens, hydrate, stretch, and take a few deep + cleansing breaths.
4. Make yourself a nourishing meal with herbs and spices.
Flavor your meal with turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, garlic, oregano, or any fresh herbs to level up the immune-supporting power of your food.
5. Relax in a hot bath.
Warm water can improve blood flow and assist your body’s natural detoxification system. Your core body temperature will also rise which can help your immune system fight infections and viruses. Add bath salts or essential oils for a deeply nourishing whole-body experience.
6. Create an evening skincare ritual.
Washing your face in the evening is even more important than washing in the morning (although you should wash then, too!). Your skin is your body’s first line of defense and is exposed to everything you encounter during the day, including dirt, pollution, and bacteria. Follow the Lagom Daily Ritual morning and night to cleanse and nourish your skin.
7. Allow sleep to be sacred.
Unplug from technology, journal, re-center your body, gently massage your head and neck, cuddle with a pet or loved one (or your gorgeous self), and focus your breathing with a nighttime mantra.
With each breath, I welcome sleep.
I give my body permission to rest.
I am safe in sleep’s embrace.
About the Author
Alexandra is a certified Holistic Health Coach through the Institute of Integrative Nutrition. You can follow her on Instagram at @inhabitwellness for more tips and ideas about living a holistic, healthy lifestyle.